Yuluma Primary School was featured on ABC News about our Japanese Language Program. Below is a summary of the news.
Language classes compulsory for Year 3 students in all WA schools from 2018
A momentous curriculum change is about to take place in WA schools — one that educators claim will improve the memory and brain function of children, making it easier for them to retain information and improve their concentration.
Benefits of learning a language
- Improves memory and brain function — strengthens the area of the brain responsible for memory, speech and sensory perception
- Enhances literacy skills — children become more aware of grammar, conjugation and sentence structures
- Enhances comprehension and accelerates ability to read and write
- Develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills — better able to ignore misleading and irrelevant information
- Improves overall performance at school — studies show bilingual and multilingual children outperform children who speak only one language
- Fosters respect and understanding of other cultures