The Schools and You parent website has recently been revised and updated. As part of this update, information about enrolments and intake areas is clearly detailed to assist parents in application and enrolment processes for their children.
Who needs to enrol?
You need to enrol children in school for 2016 if they will be:
- five years old on or before 30 June 2016 (enrol in Pre-primary)
- six years old on or before 30 June 2016 (enrol in Year 1)
- 13 years old on or before 30 June 2016 (enrol in Year 8)
- changing schools in 2016 or starting school in Western Australia for the first time in 2016.
Although Kindergarten is not a compulsory year of school, children who will be four years old on or before 30 June 2016 can be enrolled in Kindergarten and parents are encouraged to do so.
How to enrol?
- Visit the school to get an application for enrolment form.
- Contact the school if you need help with your application.
Submit your application for enrolment form at the school as soon as you can and provide copies of:
- your child’s birth certificate (telephone the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages on 1300 305 021 if you do not have one)
- your child’s immunisation records (telephone the Australian Immunisation Register on 1800 653 809 if you need details)
- proof of your current address (e.g. recent account electricity, water and telephone accounts, bank details)
- copies of Family Court orders for confirmation of proof of name or custody arrangements.
You will receive a letter from the school either offering a place (as per the Regulations) or indicating that no place is available.
If you have an offer of a place and want to accept it, visit the school to complete the enrolment process.
If your child was unsuccessful in gaining a place in a school outside your local-intake area you may need to consider the following:
- Kindergarten – every effort will be made to accommodate your child in a school as close as possible to your home.
- Pre-primary to Year 12 – a place for your child is guaranteed at your local school.
Need more information?
Check out the Schools and You parent website for information about enrolments and intake areas.