To build the capacity of the school staff to ensure quality literacy and numeracy programs.
Elements of a successful approach to Literacy and Numeracy
- Teachers have a knowledge of how children learn.
- Explicit, planned learning activities.
- Differentiated curriculum.
- Programs promote active learning.
- Understandings are developed through children exploring and thinking.
- Interaction among peers, parents and other adults.
- Curiosity is aroused in all children.
- Communication skills are facilitated and developed.
- Culturally appropriate programs are offered.
- Learning occurs across the curriculum.
- Teachers evaluate children’s learning by focused observation and respond to children’s emerging understandings.
Strategies used to build sustainable practice
- Modelled lessons
- Collaborative planning
- Whole school assessment strategies
- Cooperative learning strategies
- Home / school links
- Team teaching (multi-aged groupings MAGS) and flexibility across learning groups.
Yuluma Primary School – catering for every student’s learning in every situation.